Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Unchosen Choice


         I honestly don’t know why I want to be a writer.  Okay, I guess I know why I do.  But I can never shake the feeling of desperately wishing that it wasn’t what I feel compelled to do.  Should I list my reasons why being a writer is a waste of time, a stupid thing?  I’m not going to.  They’ve caused me to quit writing before, but I’ve always gone back; apparently I have no say in what I want to do.  So I should remind myself of the reasons I do want to be a writer.  Firstly, undeniably, I just love books.  I love reading.  No mystery that I would want to contribute to my favorite art form.  Secondly, I love writing.  Not the act of writing, I’m not talking about myself; I’m talking about every other writer who ever wrote a book that I read.  I love the idea of it, the intangibility of language, words.  I love that a writer can take these abstract building blocks and create an uncommon (or common) work which can build worlds in the mind of the reader.  This is enough of a philosophy for me to live my life under.  But I still maintain I wasn’t given a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment