Monday, January 17, 2011

Grayed

         I have always been interested in color and our perception of it - or our perception of the wavelengths of light that create color.  One of my favorite parts in Thomas Hine’s The Total Package was toward the end of the book when color theory and psychology were discussed.  I love this sort of thing.  I adore the esoteric nature of it, the total intangibility.  And in package design and advertising the color psychology (all psychology and symbolism) is so minutely examined, so deeply mined; such great depth in the name of capitalism.
         One of my favorite bits (and I have heard this same fascinating factoid before, in a color class I took) is this: In most Western societies, bright, pure colors are loved by children and by the poor.  Wealth and education bring with them a taste for subtler grayer shades, as if greater discernment must be accompanied by sensory deprivation.  So interesting!

         

No comments:

Post a Comment