Wednesday, January 5, 2011

In the details 3

         Gossip Kills was indeed inspired by vintage “golden age” mysteries, though there’s really nothing in it to make this obvious (the setting is modern).  I was definitely influenced by the tighter tone and the briefness of these genre classics (including the lesser known mystery-writing sisters Gwenyth and Constance Little, who wrote mostly in the 40s).  I’ll always be inspired by literature from before my day and I don’t see my list of favorite writers changing anytime soon.  But I will make an effort to read some more current stuff.  Maybe every other fiction book I read should be from this millennium.
         I am currently on Sophie Hannah’s The Dead Lie Down, which my friend Meagan recommended.  It’s from 2009 and it’s really good and original.
         I should read more modern fiction because I’m a writer and I should be supporting other writers.  I don’t know why I’ve been shutting myself off, surrounding myself with dead authors.  Fear?  Insecurity?  Jerkiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment