Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Good

   I've been trying to be a novelist (with the occasional break in productivity) since I was 20 years old.  This July, early July, I turn 35.  So that's 15 years of "trying." What do I have to show for it?  I've written three screenplays but I can't "show" them because I don't have them (casualties of lost floppy discs).  That's okay: writing them was priceless experience and I don't think anyone wants to read some unmade teen movie scripts from the early 2000s (though Spring Break 2078 did have potential).  Oh, I have had scripts produced by Probot Productions, even been a show runner- though it was all rather miniature.  http://www.youtube.com/user/probotvideo#grid/user/DEE5390AB2146CCD   Beyond that, I've written about two short stories I'm actually happy with and one mystery novel.  I know I should be proud to have written a book but, truth be told, I finished it for the final time about six years ago, so what have I been doing since?  Moving back and forth across the country?  Completing a second novel then shrugging it off?
   But all things considered I'm not that bad off for 35.  I figure (if I'm really fucking lucky) I could have a good 40 more years of productivity.  I just have to get good soon.  And I mean "good" in every possible way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment